Well, well, well....my first entry to my first blog. We should take a picture next to my front door holding my laptop. I decided its time for me to do this whole blog thing since it's the trendy thing to do and I'm always five minutes too late on trends so might as well jump on the bandwagon while I'm still not completely out of the loop. "F as in frank" you may ask...well this is how I start most of my conversations so it would only be right that I start my first "blog" with that title. p.s. I hate the word blog and I will think of a better name for it. I think its the "bl" sound that really bothers me because I dont mind the word log or bog. But blog is heinous. It makes me think of a fat dorky kid for some reason. It will have a new name soon. Anyhoo, my name is Fallyn Smith. And if we were on the phone or in person, you would say, "Sally?" and then I would respond, "No, Fallyn, F as in Frank..." See where I'm getting at.
My mother needed a name beginning with F since I needed to be named after a dead relative, my grandmother Florence, and since my grandmother hated her name,mom didn't want it. Conveniently, I'm a child of the 80's where soap operas were at night and considered quality television, so Dynasty was at an all time high with a character named Fallon in it. There lies my future except with a y instead of an o incase i wanted to go by "Lyn". That plan never worked out. And with the last name Smith, my name is a true oxymoron. Jumbo shrimp ain't got shit on me.
Its been a trend to hate your name in my family starting with Florence. Having flo as a nickname can do some damage. Then there is my mother, Halbrythe. (Haul-brith) . I guess Florence had a dream of this name when she was pregnant but i think the brilliant idea wasnt a dream but a hallucination that could've been the results of smoking the wacky tobacky back in the 40's. My mother goes by Holly and I think we can all agree thats a safe choice.
Whats in a name? Well, I think I've had more nicknames than god and boy does he sure have a lot. We will start with the simple ones and progress to the more interesting ones: Fally, Fal, Falcon, Falcor, Falcs, Fallynstein, Faldo, Faldildo, Fallus, Fallic, Flo (shoutout to the nana), F Smythe, Flyn (say my name really fast), Phlegm, Balki (as in perfect strangers but it has nothing to do with Bronson Pinchot who turned out to be really weird), Jimmy, and finally Salad.
And I will leave you with this story: Back in high school, everyone took a television class which was amazing. For an assignment, I had to tape a hockey game with my best friend and some other kids in my grade. We all had our headsets on ready to tape when the guy in charge, Bill Titus, some loser in my town who ran the local cable channel says, "Why doesnt everyone introduce themselves through the headsets." It was my turn, and I say, "My name is Fallyn." He then responds, "Alright Salad, we're going to need you to do a closeup on the goal." Hence, the nickname Salad. Thank you, Bill Titus, THANK YOU!
|
1 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home